Monday, March 30, 2009

A few months ago this guy started working out at the gym I work at. He started bringing in pieces of equipment; machines, bars, and so forth. Eventually it came to light that he fancied himself a trainer and was training one of the sales managers for a fitness contest. This segued into his conditional loan of his equipment to the gym if he was hired as a trainer. Our gym is already overrun with trainers of questionable quality and even if this guy is good he’s coming in and taking potential clients from me.

I find his approach to getting the job much like that of a spoiled child. You know the kind. They bring all their toys over to your house and unless things go exactly their way they threaten to take them and go home. Well, I wish this brat would take his toys and go home.

The sales manager approached me one day and asked me how we worked the consultation list. I told her we wrote our names down and put a number behind them so that everybody would get an equal share. Evidently this wasn’t good enough for him. The sales manager is now giving him all the people that come in to sign up for training. So, once again all the potential clients are going to one or two people. The problem is that the manager isn’t overseeing the training department with any vigilance, which leaves the door wide open for unscrupulous behavior. I hate business and the underhanded bullshit that seems to go along with it. I want to be fair but my patience is being tried.

This guy is a moody thug. Sometimes he will say hi to you but most of the time he just seems to be brooding. I would guess that he is on steroids and not that I care but I do notice that some people that are on them act like assholes and this guy fits the profile. He has tattoos everywhere and thinks he is the next best thing since the dishwasher.

One day I was standing at the desk and he said, “You going to do some power lifting training?”

I was like, “Uh, no I’ve kind of moved on from that.”

He cocked his head. “You’re going to do some power lifting training. I’m going to bring in three hundred high school kids from the local school district.”

First off I don’t know who this guy is thinking he can tell me what I’m going to do. I mean I appreciate that he wants to involved me if this thing goes through but no one tells me what the fuck to do. Second, I don’t like working with high school athletes. I’ve worked with high school sports teams, athletes and younger children in the past and found it to be more babysitting than training. Sure, I will bight he bullet if the money is good and I will train high school kids but I seriously doubt this guy is going to make this happen. My intuition tells me that he told the manager he could get all these kids to train at the gym as a way to get himself a job. There were probably instant money signs in the manager’s eyes and the bullshit was bought. We’ll see…

No comments: