Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Supermarket

I was at the supermarket two nights ago. I only needed a few items and so when checking out I chose the automated checkout counters so I wouldn’t have to wait in line. I chose a checkout counter and began to scan my items. A minute or so later I felt someone brush up against me and say, “Jesus fucking Christ,” under his breath. By the time I turned around I saw this guy in a cheap dress shirt and crap dress pants throw his stuff down at another automated checkout counter. He ran his hand angrily over his flattop. Evidently he’d set his basket down next to the checkout counter I was using and had gone to fetch another item or two. I guess he was angry because he thought I took “his” spot. He was bigger than me, confident in his bulk, a bully. I wanted so badly to take him out in the parking lot and beat the living shit out of him. I turned and stared at him. The attendant at the automated checkout station looked nervously about. I continued to stare. The guy gave a half look out of the corner of his eyes in my direction and proceeded like he didn’t see me. If the guy had any balls he would have said something to me. Fucking coward. I was so tempted to follow him out in the parking lot. Oh boo hoo did this guy have a bad day? Everyone had bad days but only jackasses like him take them out on everyone else…

1 comment:

jomama said...

If I'da been that guy, I woulda been pissed off at myself. Nothing more.

Don't take it personal. How do you know it was...personal, that is.