Thursday, June 15, 2006

Lion Heart

So, I’m walking my Chihuahuas this morning and out of nowhere comes this giant Rottweiler. He’s foaming at the mouth barking madly and hops towards me. I scoop my dogs up and turn towards this massive dog. He growls and I laugh and take a step towards him. From behind some bushes I can hear his owner hissing, “Duke, get back here, now!” I get ready to toss my Chihuahuas onto the nearby bank and confront the dog; I’m sure he is going to attack and I think I’m going to have to grab him in midair and slam him on the pavement but his owner rushes out from behind the bushes and grabs his choker chain. No apology or anything. He turns and drags his dog back inside his house. “Fucking, cocksucker,” I say.

And you know what I love about my dogs? They’re only five or six pounds but had that dog attacked they would have gone after him to protect me. Now that is balls. The heart of a lion stuffed into a rib cage the size of a yogurt cup. I’d like to think I was that brave and for you (my friends) you know I’d do the same. I wouldn’t run. I’d be by your side. I ask you, who else will be next to you when the shit goes down? Will they even notice or will they be in such a hurry to get home and watch Oprah that they won't even see you lying on the street bleeding from the head?

5 comments:

Cindy-Lou said...

I'd give you a bandaid at least.

Kerouaced said...

Thanks Lou, you're one of the good ones of which there are many but unfortunately there are quite a few of the not so good too...

LE Sweetz said...

you need to post a pic of the little lionhearts.

Anonymous said...

goddamn rottweilers

i'm not a fan of small dogs for the most part but for your chihuahuas i make an exception. because they were all about kicking the ass of a dog about 50 times their size.

Anonymous said...

No way. Chihuahas are dogs?