Tuesday, February 02, 2010

-Back when I started lifting weights in gyms they were places were people worked hard. Some of the gyms were dirty and cramped and had carpet that was ripped and held together by duct tape. The music was loud and people grunted and clanged weights. These gyms were privately owned. And then something happened. Ten years ago or so these small gyms started to be pushed out by large corporate owned gyms. These gyms had lots of shiny new machines and cardio contraptions. The small gyms started to close because they couldn’t keep up with the money these behemoths had. Gone are a lot of the gyms where you could sweat and swear. Gyms now have rubber-coated plates so the clanking of heavy plates doesn’t disrupt the “fitness” crowd. Gyms are geared towards people that don’t want to put in the time and effort to change themselves. They are places that are made to be comfortable and easy. Strength and physique changes never come about easily and what these gyms are selling is a lie. You can’t sit your fat ass down on a machine for five minutes and tug on a little cable contraption and see significant change.

I hear jackasses in the gym I work out in complain about the gym being dirty or that the water fountain is broken for a day. Unless there was a body on the ground I probably wouldn’t even notice any dirt on the ground. The reason is because I’m focused on my workout. I’m working too hard to give a fuck whether a treadmill glistens when the sun hits it or whether someone spit shined the upholstery on a leg press machine. These people don’t belong in gyms but the corporate pricks want them because they are the ones who pay for memberships and then never come to the gym. They are the people that want to believe they are being “healthy” but are in fact lazy couch potatoes.

I would love to open a gym with real iron weights where I could play music loud and drop 600 pound deadlifts on the floor without getting dirty looks from some jerk in a tight spandex uni-tard giving me dirty looks. I just might do that….

No comments: